Who do you think your biggest competitor is? Is it that colleague at work, a business rival, a friend, a mentor, maybe it’s a famous person you follow? I’ve come to realize something crucial on this journey we call life: the real competition? It's staring right back at you in the mirror.
I’ve written about the rabbit hole of comparison. Scrolling through social media, seeing someone's success, and instantly feeling that green-eyed monster grow inside. It's a human thing, but here's what's not: letting it control you.
In the race to financial freedom ego can be your ally and your worst enemy. It whispers, "Why them and not me?" or "You should be further ahead by now." Sound familiar? Yeah, I've been there. I talk about not letting ego dominate, yet, that sneaky lizard brain? It tries to creep in.
But here's the kicker - competing against others? That's a losing game. It's a cycle of chasing, never being content, and an ever-moving goalpost. Not fun. Instead, our real fight? It's against who we were yesterday. It's that simple.
So how do you keep winning against yourself? Here’s a practical playbook:
1. Recognize the Triggers: First, identify what sets off those comparative feelings. Is it a certain person? An achievement? Being aware is half the battle.
2. Celebrate Small Wins: Did you save an extra $10 today? Or maybe took a course to upskill? These are wins. Own them.
3. Maintain a Progress Journal: Write down your daily achievements. It’s a tangible way to see growth and keeps you accountable. Every month, look back and revel in how much you've evolved.
4. Set Personal Goals: Not society's goals, YOURS. When they come from a place of authenticity, you're more motivated to achieve them.
5. Practice Gratitude: It grounds you. Instead of focusing on what you don't have, it shifts your perspective to abundance.
And here's a bonus reminder: It's a marathon, not a sprint. You'll hit milestones, sure. But then, there’s always another mountain to climb. The key? Stop peeking over at someone else’s path. Yours is unique, challenging, beautiful, and absolutely worth it.
Make your past self your rival, and your future self your inspiration. Keep competing, keep growing, keep conquering. And always remember, the only person you need to be better than is the person you were yesterday.
I hope you find this useful, this content has helped me find a life of freedom, it's my intent it helps you as well! I'm here for you send me an email if you want to connect directly!
If you would like daily thoughts and insights you can follow me on Instagram @playbooktofreedom I have a free education site on learning to trade the stock market, check it out www.goodkidstrading.com